Tuesday, June 27, 2006

My old friend

Once upon a time, I needed to read at least a chapter from any book before I could fall asleep at night. It's a bad habit, one that I cultivated since I was 12. Ever since I started work, I've had less time to meet my paperback lovers in bed - I've never been an advocate for change. Recently though, I must have fallen back into the swing of things because everytime after I pull back my duvet to prepare for bed, I catch myself looking at the bedside area where I usually leave my stack of 'sleeping cures'. All I saw were stacks of Japanese fashion magazines. If anyone were to walk into my room and not see the cabinet where I kept my books, they might have thought I was that shallow.

2 nights ago I started on
The Globe Illustrated Shakespeare, which was wonderful reading. However, the hardcover was as heavy as a baby elephant, and having it rest on my tummy while reading wasn't doing much good to my digestion. That got me restless.

This evening I stepped into Kinokuniya, on a mission to buy a novel, a classic, whatever. I ended up choosing 2 books -
Freakonomics and Haruki Murakami's Sputnik Sweetheart. Weighing them in both hands, I concluded that I'm more a literature fan than an economics one. Moreover, it's been a long time since my last Murakami book. I paid at the cashier's with much anticipation for bedtime.

At least the last thing I think about for the next few nights will not be having to put on a false front and meet that irritating client the next morning.




Labels:

smudgi3 @ 11:15:00 pm | | |