Saturday, September 24, 2005

Growth.

This is the season. The season where recording artistes are in a mad rush to promote their new albums. The season where their fans rush to be the first few to purchase their albums and learn all the songs by heart. The season where the internet savvy start the download frenzy.

When I was around 12, I started listening to Mandarin Pop songs. The radio never left my side, I saved up to buy the cassette tapes of my idols (at that time it was a very boyish Aaron Kwok), I bought the magazines, the posters...

When I was 13, my music preferences became influenced by my first crush. He listened to 98.7, so I did. He liked Rick Price's "Heaven knows", so I learnt it. He liked my best friend, but there was no turning back for me. I fell in love with music and left him behind.

When I was 14, I fell in love again. This time, I got introduced to Hip Hop and R&B - I knew all the lyrics (even the rap) of TLC's songs by heart.

At 15, when karaoke became all the rage, I started nursing the idea of becoming a singer. Even at that tender age, I knew I had to set my sights to the Chinese market. I subscribed to MTV Chinese on cable. It became my daily fix. That's where I saw Jay Chou's first MV and fell in love at first listen. That's where I became intrigued by music, by the people behind the music, by the meaning behind the music, by the influence of music.

I think if you asked me anything about Taiwan's musical climate, who the latest stars are, who's albums are gonna do well, I would be able to answer you confidently, and I'd even add some titbits about whose girlfriend is sleeping with whose girlfriend.

Yes, I still want to be a star THAT much.

Labels:

smudgi3 @ 11:50:00 pm | | |