Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Teabagging. Frenemies. Pink tutus.

Talk is rife. SATC is invading SG. For months, magazines have raved about it, then journalists caught on and wrote about it. 2 weeks ago, hundreds of thousands of pink, tabloid sized advertisements were handed out to SGreans, announcing the premier of the last season on HBO. Yesterday, I was browsing through the mag rack at the newsagent and lo and behold! I saw those blinking four words on both our tv weeklies, and also on the cover of a leading female mag. Apparently, MediaCorp's whippin' up some local-flavoured SATC concoction, starring both the Ah Jies, of course. This is my worry : Kinda late yeah, but is SG ready for SATC?
 
For those of you (eg. my mum) who think SATC is a new diet pill, take out your credit card, log on to HBO.com and purchase all seasons of the dvd now. There are cheaper ways, but yeah, you catch my drift.
 
Needless to say, "SATC changed my life" (camera pans on badly made up face). Am I beginning to sound like those diet pills testimonials? SATC didn't slim down "my hips and thighs" though. Too much late night tv for me. I've become more aware of my sexuality, more expressive in my dressing, and have (further) broadened my views on relationships. I'm enjoying this change in me, though my mum's kinda worried about my weekly partying. My partner feels I'm too Carrie for public transport, I'm as cynical as Miranda, and aspire to be Samantha in bed. However, there's a little Charlotte in me that stabilizes my crankiness. Just like them I always hang out with the same people. Recently, I've even sat down with them for late night chats. I was beginning to think we all have no life, but I convince myself by saying we were just being very SATC. =P
 
Really, it's such a funny show, I think women of all ages should be able to enjoy it. Even guys I know who had the luck to watch it, loved it. Now back to my worry. My conclusion is, walk down Orchard Road, check out the clubs, look at all the fashionable, sexy, capable, independent women out there. Of course along the way, you'd hear some 'tsk-tsking' from unapproving aunties wearing gaudy, dumpling-tight spandex spag tops with pedal pushers and platform shoes, or sense jealous eyes boring down your St Tropez-tanned back. Before you do something stupid like throw your Jimmy Choos at them, think carefully. Wouldn't you rather :
 
a. Stride past them and flash them your boobs (Samantha)
b. Walk right up to them and give 'em a piece of your mind (Miranda)
c. Worry at first, but hold your head up high and waltz past them like a Princess (Charlotte)
d. Ignore them, but fret about it, then go home and write it in your journal. (Carrie)
 
Is SG SATC-ready?
 
Put on your pink tutus, girls, I think we are. 
  
 


Labels:

smudgi3 @ 1:25:00 pm | | |