Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Singing in the rain.

I heard two songs on the radio today that sent waves of melancholy over me.

The first song was
Bitch by Meredith Brooks. I suddenly thought of my lecturer before he turned into a blogger. *snigger* We were in the middle of a soci revision class when he wrote the word BITCH on the white board, then turned around and asked, "Someone sang a song with this title, right?" I nodded. I knew he was trying to wake the class up, because you know, soci essays aren't exactly the most exciting to write. He looked at me, since I was probably the only one who looked up in interest, and said, "I know. It's by Alanis Morrissette." I shook my head, smiled knowingly, and said, "No, it's by Meredith Brooks." He cocked his eyebrows at me and challenged, "I'm pretty sure it's Alanis." We went to and fro like this for 3 minutes, until I put down my pen and put on my mocking voice. "Trust me, Steve. When I say it is not Alanis Morrissette, it is not Alanis Morrissette. So your point is?"

"I just made it." He said, and turned around to write down the next question.

I loved his classes.


The other song was
Sad sad world by Sheryl Crow. I was a little shocked to hear it because this was not a very popular song of hers. It was only later that I found out it was a cd compilation the driver did himself. This song takes a special place in my heart because it was the first song I performed for an audience, and I learned it from scratch just one day before the gig. My band's frontman, whom I had barely spoken with, simply approached me in the lecture hall and said, "Hey, I have a gig coming up this weekend and I need a female vocal to do this song. Wanna try?" I wonder what possessed him to ask me out of everyone else who was in the hall, or me to actually nod and take the cd from him.

The next cd he passed to me was Kiss the rain by Billie Myers. I knew I had to join his band.

Thanks, R. I loved those days.


Labels:

smudgi3 @ 6:25:00 pm | | |