Tuesday, October 03, 2006

In mourning.

Just before I took my shower this morning, I saw the dark clouds tumbling outside the window. Damn! I thought. Better hurry.

As soon as I stepped out of the sheltered lobby onto the pathway that leads to the pool, I felt the cool, light droplets on my shoulders. I searched in my big bag for my brolly - I cannot get my heels wet or it would be hell for my feet the rest of the day. I had to walk to the back of the estate, about 5 minutes away to get some cash from the hole in the wall. Along the way, mothers with their children on their way to school, cyclists whizzing past, all turned to look at me with curiosity. Long wet and black hair, black brolly, black lace tank, black floaty skirt, blackish wrinkled leather bag, black heels... Is it that obvious my life is in mono right now?

Just ten steps from the ATM, I spied a cab coming towards me from the corner of my eye - untaken. I flagged it down and opened the front passenger door, hoping to see a friendly face.

"Could you wait for me while I get cash? You can turn on the meter if you like."

It was raining and getting a cab from the street now was near impossible. I had to take my chances. Luckily, he nodded cheerfully. While I wait for my turn at the machine, I watched as several would-be cab-snatchers opened the cabdoor and climb in, only to see them storm out in a few seconds and throw dirty looks at me. I gave them my signature smile : haughty, patronizing, fuck-off-if-you-know-what's-good-for-you.

When I finally settled in the back of the cab and slammed the door close, the clouds gave in and the rain fell loud and heavy on the windscreen. I smiled and shook my head, then nodded at the rain in acknowledgement. Thank you for waiting.


Labels:

smudgi3 @ 11:30:00 am | | |