Tuesday, February 01, 2005

I admit defeat

3 weeks ago, I wanted to make my way to Popular Bookstore to buy a few assessment books for my students. Instead of turning right after I got off the escalator, my subconscious turned me left towards a rental bookstore. I walked in, and without even having this pass through my mind, I asked the lady for Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln.

After walking out of the bookshop $16 poorer, I wondered at my actions. When was the last time I thought about this book? It had to be when I first read The Da Vinci Code. I remembered going to the library only to find that the one and only copy was stolen. Since then I had gicen up hope of finding it. Somehow, I found this newly reprinted paperback version in a nondescript rental bookshop.

Other than my textbooks, I always found reading fascinating. In fact I could usually finish a thick novel in less than 3 days (oh how I burn those nights). This book took me 3 weeks, and I'm none the wiser. Granted, the 3 authors took pains to research and it was one hell of a research! There was so much info, my brain couldn't take it. I had to rest every few subchapters. Imagine a bibliography that spans 10 pages! Honestly, my mind is so lost while reading it, that up til now, I cant make sense of the extensive work. Some parts I understand, but others just reached my eyes and not my brain. Lucky thing the last few chapters were less heavy and some of my questions were answered.

I'm gonna have to return the book tomorrow, though I would love to keep it with me so that I could make sense of it. Anyhow, thought I'd share with you a passage that you'd never find in any bible.

Taken from the secret 'lost' Gospel of Mark :

"And they come into Bethany, and a certain woman, whose brother had died, was there. And, coming, she prostrated herself before Jesus and says to him, 'Son of David, have mercy on me.' But the disciples rebuked her. And Jesus, being angered, went off with her into the garden where the tomb was, and straightway a great cry was heard from the tomb. And going near, jesus rolled away the stone from the door of the tomb. And straightway, going in where the youth was, he stretched forth his hand and raised him, seizing his hand. But the youth, looking upon him, loved him and began to beseech him that he might be with him. And going out of the tomb they came into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days, Jesus told him what to do and in the evening the youth comes to him, wearing a linen cloth over [his] naked [body]. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the kingdom of God. And thence arising, he returned to the other side of the Jordan."

- The 'raising' of Lazarus, suspiciously found only in the Gospel of John.

p/s If any of you thought that the passage hinted at homosexuality then you certainly aren't a pure Christian ;P. You're missing the entire picture. Go read the bible.



smudgi3 @ 11:38:00 pm | | |