Monday, November 10, 2008

The Venom Spreads.

I've been travelling quite a fair bit this year, though for most parts, the motive for the trips were borne out of need and not out of want. This has been the year of China for me. Admittedly, China is not amongst my list of top five favourite holiday locations. But since February, I've been to Shanghai twice, Beijing once, and I've just returned from Macau and Hong Kong.

Shanghai was amazing for me for its past; the legendary Bund and the beautiful buildings on the historical side of the river gave me much to think about. Its present: the high-rise buildings, the perpetual construction, and the unfortunate impressions some of the Chinese gave me, did not make me love the country my forefathers came from.

Beijing, on the other hand, was exceptional. The wide open spaces. The snow outside the cabin window on the Z14. The somewhat friendlier attitude of the people. The Forbidden City. The Great Wall. Everyone should experience Beijing once.

I was in Macau for work, so I didn't see what most tourists and punters must have seen of Macau. I was herded everywhere by an agent in a mini-van, straight from my gorgeous hotel room, to my various work locations, to the lavish dinners that have already been paid for, then straight back to my hotel.

Hong kong on leisure with my colleagues was another matter altogether. I have never stepped into so many Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, and Goyard boutiques so many times in my life. I stood in the quiet corners of each boutique watching my bosses and colleagues shuffle from shelf to shelf, and wonder why they couldn't pay me more so I can join in the fun. Still, I finally understood why Hong Kong is a shopping paradise. Too many brands, too little time. The last time I was in Hong Kong, I was all of 10 years old. I suspect I'll be going back there some time. But not so soon.

The travel bug bit me when I was 21 and allowed to finally travel on my own. I haven't stopped since. My first love will always be Japan, although my lust for travel, like my lust for most other things, is insatiable. As I clock the hours, earn my meal, fatten up my bank, and plan my next holiday, I say "Bring It". I'm never too poor or tired to travel.



Labels: ,

smudgi3 @ 4:51:00 pm | | |