Thursday, March 31, 2005

What it could have been.

[related to my previous post]

19-year-old Singaporean girl launches debut album in Japan
By Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia

SINGAPORE : A Singaporean is set to make a splash on the global music scene. Olivia Ong, 19, released her debut album to rave reviews across Japan this week.

Not very pretty what. Yeah lah, sour grapes lah, I know.

"Girl meets Bossa Nova" is the title of Olivia's debut album which was launched after one-and-a-half years of hard work.

The talented singer was spotted by a Japanese record company at a singing competition in Singapore when she was 15.

After completing her secondary school, she packed her bags for Japan where she spent one year at a high school in Tokyo before taking the plunge into a full-time singing career.

Olivia said: "Things don't come easy, you have to work at it and it requires discipline but so far, I feel very fortunate because I have this opportunity and I dare say I'm the only one at 19 years old to be here."

Her singing at the Singapore booth at this year's World Exposition in Aichi, Japan, captured the hearts of those present. Her record label said with her vocal capabilities and Singapore girl charm, breaking into the Japanese market should not be much of a problem. They estimate that 5,000 pieces of her album would be sold within two months.

Olivia added: "The goal I have right now is to come up with my major debut album here and then slowly move back to Singapore. Have fun, do performances and all that stuff. Slowly I hope to have my own band. I really, really hope to work together with a band."

Her album will be released in Singapore only in June this year. - CNA


Hmph. I've already had my own band. Boo hoo hoo.

smudgi3 @ 11:58:00 am | | |